What makes great CPD for educators?
What makes great CPD for teachers? Well it definitely helps if the INSET is delivered by someone with years’-worth of real teaching experience – someone who was rated as outstanding by Ofsted in every school that they worked in (back in those dark days when you got graded!) There’s nothing worse than being told how to teach by someone who hasn’t taught for the last 15 years or who left teaching because they secretly were never very good at it in the first place. In our opinion, if you’re going to train teachers how to teach an outstanding lesson to children, you have to be able to deliver an outstanding INSET course to teachers.
What else would you want for your colleagues on an INSET day?…
For us, the remaining key ingredients of worthwhile CPD come down to the following:
- The training needs to, in the long-term, have a measurable impact on the learning, achievement and experience of the school’s pupils.
- The training needs to be exciting, thought-provoking and engaging.
- The training needs to avoid “Death-by-PowerPoint”, passive learning, and lecturing.
- The training needs to introduce fresh, innovative ideas that can help teachers to consider their practice in a whole new light.
- The training needs to be motivational, memorable and inspiring – especially at the beginning of a new term!
- The training needs to support the school in keeping up to speed with the latest standards, debate and innovation in Education.
Finally, we are often told by teachers that the real icing on the cake for a truly brilliant INSET is… well – real icing…on real cakes…
Brilliant! So practical. Very inspirational – Thank you so much!AHT, Caldercote Community Primary
Engaging and inspiring!Warren Farm Primary
Brilliant! I can’t wait to go back to school and use the new ideas!Thomas Cowley High School
Fabulous, Engaging – Met all my needs!DHT, Temple Primary School
Excellent. Everything can be taken back to the classroom!LTL, Colyton Grammar School
Superb. Totally engaging. I really soaked up every word. A sensational course!Literacy Lead, St Anne’s Primary
Useful, fun, extremely helpful & perfect for building teaching repertoire. Fantastic!History Teacher, Hindley High School
The best INSET I have had for years!DHT, Sun Valley Sports School
Lots of brilliant, practical ideas. Thank you!Holy Cross Catholic Primary
Fantastic ideas that can be used in REAL lessons!Chemistry Teacher, Boston Spa School
Inspirational, creative, fun!HoD, Woodrush School
First course in years where I’ve felt I can implement ideas immediately!Dep Leader of Science , St John Fisher School
INSET for Primary, Secondary, FE, HE, Teachers, T.A.s and Leaders!
We are always happy to tailor Teaching and Learning CPD to the needs of your school. Your school doesn’t get a “One Size Fits All” package PowerPoint – your school receives a bespoke training event, built and delivered to meet the current focuses of your School Improvement Plan. We are happy to talk in depth with you about the needs and interests of your staff and pupils.
Below are some of the most popular CPD focuses for schools at the moment. We are also happy to blend a number of these concepts into a whole day event.